In 1949, Dr. William Bishop and Dr. Alvin Swenson were orthopedic surgeons returning from service in World War II. Their mission was to provide the very best orthopedic care to the growing Phoenix community. That year they founded the Orthopedic Clinic (TOCA), the first medical practice specializing in orthopedic surgery in Arizona. Today, The Orthopedic Clinic (TOCA) has grown to 19 physicians with five locations across the Valley.
Sixty years ago, specialists were typically found only in major metropolitan areas like Los Angeles and New York. In 1949, Phoenix and its surrounding communities had a combined population of only around 100,000 people. It was growing, however, and Drs. Bishop and Swenson saw a developing niche they could serve and serve well.
While the Orthopedic Clinic Association has become a truly modern orthopedic practice, we remain devoted to the goals set forth by our founders – to provide the best orthopedic care in the Valley of the Sun. Our physicians and staff are dedicated to providing for each person’s needs and ensuring the highest level of care for a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions. We look forward to caring for your orthopedic needs.